In the first week of March, Flight Path Immigration got to take part as invitees at The First Canadian Women-only Virtual Business Mission to Taiwan by Asia Pacific Foundation of Canada. This is an exciting cross-cultural exchange between Canada and Taiwan for women entrepreneurs.
This event was a two day virtual and in person mission that featured many wonderful presentations and speakers from Canada and Taiwan, from a range of innovative sectors including biomedical, and environmental technologies.
The event was supported by Air Canada and the Government of Canada, with the participation of the Canadian Trade Office in Taiwan, the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office in Canada, and the Ministry of Economic Affairs, Taiwan.
The Government of Canada supported this mission through its Women Entrepreneurship Strategy Ecosystem Fund, which supports women entrepreneurship in Canada start up, scale up, and expand their businesses across Canada and overseas.
It was immensely inspiring to hear from so many (and even meet a few) dynamic and savvy women entrepreneurs who work in such incredibly important sectors that improve the lives of people all around the world.
Some of the speakers included:
- MC Christine NAKAMURA (MC) Vice President, APF Canada
- Minister Audrey TANG Digital Minister, Taiwan
- Sherry HSIA Founder CEO, Baiyan Global Consulting
- Dr. Songyee YOON President, NCSOFT & CEO, NCWEST
- Yukako UCHINAGA Board Chair, Japan Women’s Innovative Network, President and CEO, Globalization Research Institute
- Dr. Allison SEKULER Vice President of Research, Baycrest Health Sciences & Managing Director, Centre for Aging + Brain Health Innovation
- Sara WILSHAW Assistant Deputy Minister & Chief Trade Commissioner, Global Affairs Canada
- Dr. Grace YEH Founder, Pharma Engine, Inc. & Vice-President, Taiwan Bio Industry Organization (TBIO)
- Rose TSOU Head of Verizon Media International
- Nicole VERKINDT Founder & CEO, OMX, former “Dragon” on CBC’s Tech-focused Next Gen Den
- Vicki SAUNDERS Founder, SheEO
- Janice FUKAKUSA Mission Vice Chair & Chancellor, Ryerson University
In a message from The Hon. Mary Ng, P.C., M.P. Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade sums up the purpose of the mission nicely:
Missions like APF Canada are integral to helping women access new markets and bring Canadian innovation abroad…” presenting “a unique opportunity to promote Canadian innovations in traditional and emerging sectors like cleantech and life sciences.” The focus was to “develop new or strengthen existing business relationships with Taiwanese partners.The Hon. Mary Ng, P.C., M.P. Minister of Small Business, Export Promotion and International Trade
Featured were a diverse and talented group of women entrepreneurs from across Canada and Taiwan, exchanging experiences and expertise of expanding businesses across markets in Canada, Taiwan and other markets in the dynamic Asia-Pacific region.
“Building on a decades-old foundation of economic cooperation and entrepreneurial synergies, this mission will play an important role in strengthening business partnerships between our two economies. As champions of inclusive and rules-based trade, Canada and Taiwan will continue to collaborate, creating opportunities and generating inclusive and sustainable growth for our people well into the future.”
Flight Path Immigration looks forward to presenting at an incredible event like this in the near future!